Come with us on a journey to the dark side, where haunted houses are filled with spooky characters, lurking behind windows and doors.
- black construction paper/card stock for house
- white or orange construction paper/card stock for background
- craft knife
- cutting mat
- scotch tape
- 3D Dots (optional)
- small Halloween decorations
1. To make a haunted house cut out, use a pencil to draw the outline onto a piece of black construction paper or card stock. Think about the details you would like to include, such as chimneys, picket fences, trees, windows and doors. You may first want to explore haunted house silhouettes on the internet, and make a few sketches.
2. Use scissors to cut out the haunted house silhouette. Using a cutting board and craft knife, cut out the windows and doors. This will be much easier than using scissors.
You can now flip the silhouette to the other side, so no pencil marks will show. If you are making window panes, simply cut strips of paper and tape them onto the back. This creates the look in an easier and faster way than cutting out small, individual squares.
3. Lay the haunted house onto a sheet of white or orange paper of the same size. Either glue it onto the paper, or if you prefer a slightly raised look which creates shadows, apply 3D Dots onto the back first.
Flip the silhouette over, and attach to the background.
4. Decorate the house by filling it with spooky inhabitants, peeking through windows and doors, or peering out from a garden porch. These can be made from drawings which are cut out and glued, homemade polymer clay characters, and small dollar store decorations.