Come with us on a journey to the dark side, where haunted houses are filled with spooky characters, lurking behind windows and doors.
- black construction paper/card stock for house
- white or orange construction paper/card stock for background
- craft knife
- cutting mat
- scotch tape
- 3D Dots (optional)
- small Halloween decorations
1. To make a haunted house cut out, use a pencil to draw the outline onto a piece of black construction paper or card stock. Think about the details you would like to include, such as chimneys, picket fences, trees, windows and doors. You may first want to explore haunted house silhouettes on the internet, and make a few sketches.
2. Use scissors to cut out the haunted house silhouette. Using a cutting board and craft knife, cut out the windows and doors. This will be much easier than using scissors.
You can now flip the silhouette to the other side, so no pencil marks will show. If you are making window panes, simply cut strips of paper and tape them onto the back. This creates the look in an easier and faster way than cutting out small, individual squares.
3. Lay the haunted house onto a sheet of white or orange paper of the same size. Either glue it onto the paper, or if you prefer a slightly raised look which creates shadows, apply 3D Dots onto the back first.
Flip the silhouette over, and attach to the background.
4. Decorate the house by filling it with spooky inhabitants, peeking through windows and doors, or peering out from a garden porch. These can be made from drawings which are cut out and glued, homemade polymer clay characters, and small dollar store decorations.
25 responses to “Haunted House Cut Out”
I love all of your projects! You are truly crafty and an inspiration to me!
You are so kind and sweet to say that. Thank you! If I recall, you do some pretty cool decorating for Halloween. Looking forward to seeing this year’s creations 🙂
You are correct! I love creating things for Halloween and I am working on a paper mache torso prop right now. Just trying to get it done before Halloween! 🙂
Can’t wait to see it!
Great minds think alike! I am in the process of putting together a 3-D house like this for my granddaughter to decorate! I’ve got little ghosts and bats for her to glue on! Her little stuffed black cat will live in the house!
What a wonderful idea – a custom made house for her black cat. I love it!
How cute!! I bet kids would love this with some added skeery stuff.
Thanks for sharing 😉
So simple but so effective! Thanks for the step-by-step!
Avo there awesome Halloween idea 🙂
My house will be Halloween Central 🙂
Best holiday of the year 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful time!
This is amazingly creative. I would never have thought to cut out shapes for windows and doors. Thanks for the inspiration! Found you on the TGIF linky!
That looks fantastic- and very fiddly! We love Hallowe’en crafts! Visiting via #weekendbloghop from http://musingssahm.blogspot.co.uk
Thanks for visiting, and loved having a good read on your blog!
That’s adorable–I like it!
Thanks Steph 🙂
I love your Haunted House cutout! The one you made is adorable!
I am stopping by from Craft Frenzy Friday where I am linked up too with my Free Pintable – Say Boo Scare On project.
Thanks so much 🙂
This looks like an awesome activity for my older kid! #SerenitySaturday
I’m sure they would have fun making it 🙂
So, so Cute!! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
I love using 3D dots, they’re amazing. Your project is super cute, thanks for sharing. Thanks for linking up for Scraptastic Saturdays. This post will be shared via FB/Twitter/Pinterest. Have a wonderful day. Hope to see you Saturday.
Thanks Andrea! 3D dots are totally addictive – love them too 🙂
Pingback: Scraptastic Saturday Linky Party #5