I recently unpacked our Halloween decorations and came across this old chicken bone necklace, which had been left unpainted. I decided it was time to give it a second life and brought out the acrylics.
- chicken bones
- leather string or similar
- drill and drill bit
- acrylic paint
- Make sure you and your family eat a few chickens between now and Halloween. Save the bones and scrub them gently in warm soapy water until clean. Lay them out on a cloth until dry.
- Drill a hole near the top of each bone. Make sure it’s slightly bigger than the string you will be threading it on.
- Paint the bones in any Halloween themed colour or pattern that strikes your fancy. If you’re making them black and white, paint the bones in white and allow to dry. Then add black stripes.
- Lay your dry bones out in a pattern you would like for your necklace. You can aim for smallest to largest to smallest, or a random design. You may need to poke a toothpick through the drilled holes to remove any paint that made its way inside. 5. Thread the string through, and tie a knot at the end. If you want to create a little space between each bone, make a small knot in between them. You can also combine the bones with other things like feathers and mini skulls, easily found at dollar stores and bead shops.